Show Navigation

Photograph of Burns Statue, Dumfries, 1999

Back

View Large Image

Burns Statue, Dumfries

Introduction:
In May 1877 the town council of Dumfries adopted a proposal to erect a statue to Robert Burns, the town's most illustrious inhabitant. A site was chosen in Church Place, at the junction of the High Street, Castle Street and Buccleuch Street and the local historian William McDowall was appointed secretary of a committee formed to progress the project.
Image Rights Holder:
Dumfries & Galloway Museums Service
Ref:
196
Project:
241:Robert Burns - People and Places
What:
Photograph of Burns Statue, Dumfries, 1999
Subject:
The statue was carved in Carrara by Italian craftsmen working to Amelia Hill's model. It was unveiled by the Earl of Rosebery on 6th April 1882. In the century since it has been moved on several occasions due to road improvements in the vicinity.
Who:
Robert Burns (1759-1796) (memorial to)
William McDowall (1815-1888) (fundraiser)
Archibald Philip Primrose, 5th Earl of Rosebery (1847-1929) (unveiled statue)
Amelia Robertson Paton (Mrs David Octavius Hill) (designer)
When:
1999
Where:
Dumfries Museum, Dumfries & Galloway
Background:
The statue was carved in Carrara by Italian craftsmen working to Amelia Hill's model. It was unveiled by the Earl of Rosebery on 6th April 1882. In the century since it has been moved on several occasions due to road improvements in the vicinity.
Description:
The committee approved a model for the statue proposed by the artist Amelia Paton Hill. She had exhibited portrait busts, animal figures and genre groups at the Royal Academy, and all these elements are to be found in her statue of Burns, which is probably her best known work.